Title: Ocean Kills
Author: Jade Hart
Series: Ocean Breeze #1
Date Published: December 8, 2012
Source: Received from Author for Honest Review
Goodreads ~ Amazon
Around the world, murderers and rapists pick off the innocent. Killing loved ones, separating families, and ruining lives.
As an eight-year-old girl, Ocean witnessed her family’s massacre and something altered inside her. Twisting her genetic code… unlocking an ability to teleport.
Ocean Breeze was never destined to be normal, especially having been named after air-freshener. She’s a shadow, a ghost—a dark saviour of the innocent. Armed with a switchblade in her bra, and a box-cutter in her pocket, she hunts the filth of the world.
Callan Bliss is a Sydney police officer whose skill-set is far above that of a normal cop. All his fellow officers see is a hard worker who loves to catch perpetrators and surf, but that’s because they don’t know about his past. When Callan arrests a suspicious-looking prostitute, he comes face-to-face with a self-confessed vigilante, and suddenly, his secrets aren’t so easy to keep silent.
Ocean hates the police with a passion, and has no intention of being held captive by a cop, even if he is sexy as hell. Teleporting from under his nose, Ocean hunts her next target—a man responsible for the largest sex ring in South Africa—and now he’s about to die. But she doesn’t count on Callan giving chase, nor the body-quaking lust that consumes them. However, Ocean's dark hobbies take precedence over what her heart wants—her thirst for murdering is killing her too, and not even Callan can save her.
When Ocean Breeze (yes, that is her real name!) was eight years old she witnessed the extremely brutal murder of her family. Something about the torment and torture she endured altered something inside of her. The ability to teleport was unlocked in her. Since then she has worked to keep the type of people that killed her family off the streets. She stalks and kills the men that murder and rape and then teleports out of the scene. But killing comes with a price. With every life she takes she becomes less herself. She becomes cold and uncaring. Ocean knows that killing these men will eventually kill her very soul, but she feels she owes it to the would-be victims of these monsters, and she's unwilling to stop.
What I Liked:
* I love Ocean's character. She truly believes in what she does. She's ruthless and angry, but she does what she does to save people. Although she doesn't always make the right choices, her heart is in the right place.
* Callan Bliss...Aussie. Blonde. Surfer. Cop. Do I really need to go on?
* The chemistry between Ocean and Callan...holy smokes! Hot!
* Maurice Green is like a father to Ocean. He found her on the street and took her in. He has some secrets still left untold, but it's obvious how much he adores Ocean. He supports her decision to hunt and kill monsters, but he doesn't necessarily agree with her. I love how supportive he is even though it breaks his heart.
* The story: I love the story! Victim turned vigilante killer goes after sex trafficing ring...action, adventure and revenge. It's a great plot.
What I Disliked:
* Ocean Kills is a long book! I usually like a good long story, but with this one I felt like a lot of it dragged a bit. Several times I found myself saying, "What?! Where did that come from?" Big sections of the book had no significance to the full story and could have been cut. It would have helped with the overall flow.
* Way too many quirky cliched sayings!
Ocean Kills was a very enjoyable read. It kept me up until the early morning hours, and that is the evidence of a great story for me. I'm definitely looking forward to the next book in this series.