Tuesday, June 5, 2012

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instrument#5)

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5) by Cassandra Clare

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)

The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing–but so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed, and bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.

No magic the Clave can summon can locate either boy, but Jace cannot stay away—not from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith’s dying magic has wrought—Jace is no longer the boy she loved. He and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become what he most feared: a true servant of Valentine’s evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. Will the Shadowhunters hesitate to kill one of their own?

Only a small band of Clary and Jace’s friends and family believe that Jace can still be saved — and that the fate of the Shadowhunters’ future may hinge on that salvation. They must defy the Clave and strike out on their own. Alec, Magnus, Simon and Isabelle must work together to save Jace: bargaining with the sinister Faerie Queen, contemplating deals with demons, and turning at last to the Iron Sisters, the reclusive and merciless weapons makers for the Shadowhunters, who tell them that no weapon on this earth can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. Their only chance of cutting Jace free is to challenge Heaven and Hell — a risk that could claim any, or all, of their lives.

And they must do it without Clary. For Clary has gone into the heart of darkness, to play a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing the game is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she even still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.


*************************

*If you have not read The Mortal Instruments there WILL be spoilers ahead!*

I'm not going to summarize the book like I usually do because the book blurb above is crazy long and tells you everything you need to know.  I do, however, feel like I should preface this review by explaining my love/hate relationship with this series.  I did not read City of Bones when it first came out.  Although I thought it sounded amazing I put it off forever.  Not until all three of the first trilogy were already out and a friend loaned me the books did I finally read City of Bones...and only City of Bones.  I just didn't like it!  I originally gave it 2 stars and decided not to read City of Ashes and City of Glass.  So, when Clockwork Angel came out I didn't plan to read it.  After all, it was set in the same world of Shadowhunters, I wouldn't like it any better right?!  But, after reading some of the reviews I decided to give it a try...plus the cover is amazing!  I listened to the audiobook version of Clockwork Angel, and I absolutely loved it!  After I finished it I couldn't wait to get my hands on more of The Infernal Devices.  What was I going to do while I waited for Clockwork Prince?  Hmmm, maybe I should give The Mortal Instruments another try.  So I got the audiobook version of City of Bones...and I really, really enjoyed it!  The farther I got into The Mortal Instruments the more I enjoyed it, and I'm really glad I went back and gave them another chance so I didn't miss out on this wonderful story.

So, what did I think of City of Lost Souls?  I loved it!  Actually, I think it's my favorite so far in both series.  In the end of City of Fallen Angels you know bad things are going to happen to Jace so it's no surprise when City of Lost Souls starts off with Jace missing, Sebastian missing and the Clave looking for them both.  Clary and their group of friends know Jace is still alive, but they don't really understand where he's gone or why.  It's not until Jace comes for Clary that they realize that he is no longer the boy they know and love.  Now he's Sebastian's puppet, bound to him by Lilith's mark.  And no weapon in this world can harm one without harming the other.  Clary decides she's going to go with Jace and Sebastian while the others try to figure out a way to separate Jace and Sebastian.

We get to see some intense changes in many of the relationships in this book.  I love where we're going with Simon and Isabelle and with Jordan and Maia.  Alec succeeded in making me extremely angry and watching the relationship between Alec and Magnus makes me simultaneously swoon and cry.  I really need to see them figure things out.  Quite a lot of the plot lines are left hanging, and I'm hoping each and every one of them will be wrapped up nicely in the final book in this series, City of Heavenly Fire.  I have many questions I want answers to, but I love the mystery!  Like who is Brother Zachariah?  It's pretty obvious he's someone from The Infernal Devices, but who?!  I can't wait to find out.  What I'd really like is to see a family tree.  Would that be too much to ask?  Even though Jace isn't really Jace we still get to see lots of growth in his and Clary's relationship.  It's nice to see Clary hold her own this time.  She gets to show off the skills Jace has taught her, and she likes it.

As much as I enjoy the Shadowhunter world I am looking forward to a wrap-up of The Mortal Instruments.  I think it's time for them to get the happily ever afters that they deserve.  I hope we see lots more action with The Infernal Devices, along with some of the answers we're seeking.  And, I may be in the minority here, but I am looking forward to The Dark Artifices.

5 Stars * * * * *

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog design! It is gorgeous. I am following you now. Please check me out at Thinks Books. http://thinksbooks.blogspot.com
    Nice review too! This is sitting on my shelf to be read! Cannot believe I haven't got to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I definitely recommend this one! It was great!!!

      Delete
  2. Your blog is so pretty, I need to find a way to make mine better, I am a new follower. If there is somewhere to get better designs I would love to find some. I am a newbie. My blog is here http://concisebookreviewsbymichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg I really need to read it now -__- thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs