Friday, May 11, 2012

Black Dawn (Morganville Vampires, Book #12)

Black Dawn by Rachel Caine

Black Dawn (The Morganville Vampires, #12)

**Black Dawn is Book #12 of the Morganville Vampires Series**

In Last Breath, the rain brought a new and dire threat to Morganville and its vampires... their ancient enemies, the draug. Now, the vampires are fighting a losing war, and it will fall to the residents of the Glass House: Michael, Eve, Shane and Claire, to take the fight to an enemy who threatens to destroy the town, forever.
******************************

Black Dawn takes up exactly where Last Breath (Book #11) ended.  The vampires and humans have all retreated to Founder's Square and are hiding from the draug.  Amelie has been bitten by Mangus, the master draug, and is turning into a draug herself.  The vamps and humans are working together to try to figure out a way to save Morganville from a threat so deadly that even the vamps are afraid to go outside.  Of course, it falls to Claire, Eve, Shane and Michael to save the day.  

Considering the fact that I was pretty disappointed with Last Breath, I was relieved to enjoy Black Dawn so much.  As usual, I really enjoyed the relationship between the four friends.  When Shane is in trouble they all risk everything to save him.  There is a lot of tension between Eve and Michael, and it hurts Claire to see them so unhappy.  At one point Michael even tells Claire that he was wrong about not wanting her to move in with them way back when she first came to Morganville.  The friendship between the four of them is so strong.   

When I first began this series I loved how unique the concept was.   A whole town created by vampires where humans know what lurks in the dark, but they attempt to live together in harmony...well as much as possible.  These vampires aren't your fluffy, romantic version that so many books are all about.  These vamps are real, blood-thirsty and devious.  Humans don't leave the house after dark.  They're free to live as they please, but they're pretty much captives in the town.  I used to read these books and I would hold my breath not knowing who could be trusted and who couldn't.  I suppose it's because the series has gone on for so many books, but I've lost that thrill.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Black Dawn.  It was probably my favorite in the series.  But, when Oliver threatens Eve and/or Claire I know he's all talk.  When Amelie tells Claire she's going to turn her I know it's not really going to happen.  Even psycho Myrnin, who has lost it and attempted to kill Claire time and time again, has become soft.  Although I'm still enjoying it, I miss the thrill and excitement that was so rampant in this series.  I'm really excited to see where the series is headed now with the vamps telling them the rules are changing.  This could be good!  Maybe not so good for our four friends, but good for me!  I am anticipating lots of excitement for Bitter Blood (Book #13)!  Hopefully it won't disappoint!

***** 5 stars

6 comments:

  1. I think I'm kind of behind everyone else since I have not even read one book from the Morganville series :O
    I think I will have to try it now! I love stories with on-the-edge-of-your-seat action and suspense! But, I do get how suspense starts trailing dry after the series goes on for too long.

    The first few books are looking good. Lovely review! Staying tuned :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out the blog! If you are a vampire lover you may just find Morganville to be right up your alley.

      Delete
  2. Hi Leigh Ann. I'm not a vampier-book-nut, but I enjoyed this review and the book does sound interesting. Just dropped in to thank you for stopping by http://scarlettrainssistersoftheheartsblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/when-is-it-hip-to-be-square.html
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I'm a new follower. And, last time I spell-checked, vampire was not spelled as 'vampier'...maybe that 's a sexy vampire? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a vampire fan long before the Twilight era, so I've enjoyed all of these new authors takes on the theme. That said, I think I've overdone it. I find myself drifting away from the paranormal now. Thank you for following me! I hope you enjoy my future ramblings.

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to read this! I love this series! Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs